Sunday, February 26, 2006

Octavia Butler, 1947-2006




Dar Kush

A great loss.

I practically moved mountains to meet Octavia Butler when she did a booksigning at Busboys & Poets in D.C. last year. I was frustrated that her book, "Fledgling," which was her first book in several years, wasn't getting the publicity it deserved. I could barely find it anywhere. So when I had the opportunity to meet her, I packed up all of my favorites, "Kindred", "Parable of the Sower" and "Parable of the Talents." I didn't get there in time for her speech, but I was able to get my book signed afterward. It was hard to believe that such powerful words came from a woman who, that night, looked so frail and weak. She was gracious enough to sign all my books and included an encouraging message about my own writing endeavors. There is going to be a huge gap in black literature -- literature in general -- without her.
(Photo courtesy of http://www.sfwa.org/members/butler/)

No comments: