Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Nappy Bill of Rights


About a month ago, I decided to go natural. This is something I've considered every six to eight weeks come relaxer time, but I would eventually give in and go to the nearest hairdresser. This time, I'm going to do it. I'm letting my relaxer grow out and I plan to lock my hair. My mane will go through some serious changes in the next several months and I imagine those of the paler race will have several questions. I've devised what I call a 'Nappy Bill of Rights', which should give these folks a better understanding of acceptable an unacceptable behavior toward a black woman going through this stage.

1. No, you can't touch it. My hair is not something you see at a museum or pet store, therefore, keep your hands to yourself. I reserve the right to bite off the finger of anyone whose hand comes near my hair.

2. Do not refer to me as 'exotic.' I hate that word. It's just a polite way of saying 'colored' or even worse, calling me a n****. Don't do it.

3. Yes, I wash it. There are these things called shampoo and conditioner that do wonders for my hair. In other words, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

4. How did I get my hair like this? Let's see .... I stopped paying people to burn my scalp with chemicals every six weeks in order to be accepted by society. Now I stopped caring about what people think.

5. In the words of India.Arie, "I Am not My Hair." I'm the same brilliant and beautiful person I was, just sans relaxer. I expect to be treated the same. Look me in the eyes when we're talking, instead of staring at my roots. If you can follow these rules, we'll get along perfectly.
(Photo courtesy of http://www.dreadlocks.com.au/)





2 comments:

Motownrunner said...

yo! i didn't know you had a blog!! why didn't you tell me? it's really cool!! can you help mine look cooler. it really needs help!!

Juicy77 said...

Congrats on your new journey! It will be frustrating, but don't give up.
Oh yeah, and be prepared. People (Read: MEN) treat you differently when your hair is no longer straight.