Friday, December 19, 2008

I Talk To Myself

New Year's Eve is coming up, but I started planning for 2009 a few months ago. Maybe planning isn't the right word, but I wrote a list of things I wanted to accomplish by the end of 2008. I typed this list up, then emailed it to myself and put it in a folder called "notes to myself." The plan was not to open this message until the end of the year.

I remember a few of the things I wrote on the note, but not everything. It was basically a guide to accomplishing a few things in my personal and professional life. On the personal end, I listed all the reasons why I needed to eliminate a certain someone from my life. Mission accomplished. On the professional end, I wrote that I needed to put some fire under my arse to find a new job and to send those resumes out. Well, I've been slacking in that area. I also wanted to make some more moves toward homeownership. Another shaky area. I wanted to finish the latest draft of my novel, which was another mission accomplished.

So, by the time 2009 rolls around, I'll have to pick up on the list I left off. It is definitely time to find a new job. I've sent out resumes here and there, but I need to be more aggressive on this. Financially, my company is suffering and we're all fearing layoffs. But that isn't the only reason why I need to make a move. I enjoy my job, but I feel like I should be doing something I love. There are people in this world who can't wait to get to work every morning and I envy them. In a perfect world, I'd be able to support myself through my fiction writing. However, I should be careful what I wish for, since that seems like a very solitary and lonely life.

I am looking forward to 2009, though. It's not that 2008 was bad, I would just like to put some things behind me and start fresh. On to the new year!

No comments: