Tuesday, July 17, 2012

In Search of a News-Free Morning Ritual



I'm a creature of habit.

I spent my weekday mornings getting dressed to the hum of the television. Over the years, my viewing has changed. As a child, my mother rushed me out the door to the sounds of the morning news program, which was likely Good Morning America. In college, I prepared myself for the real world by watching the Today Show and planned my outfits based on Al Roker's weather report. And once I got into the real world, I tried to lessen the workday's blows by watching reruns of The Smurfs before I headed outside. (And if the network hadn't switched things around, I'd still be watching the blue people)

But in recent years, I returned to the Today Show. I can't explain why. Maybe it was those college memories of eating oatmeal and chatting with my roommate as Matt Lauer hovered on the screen. Or maybe it was my  ongoing crush on Matt Lauer. (#DontJudgeMe) These were people I had come to know, and I liked them. I was there through Katie Couric, Meredith Vieira and Ann Curry. So when I watched a video of tearful Ann talking about her new duties with the show, I got mad. I turned off the television and decided I was going to explore other a.m. alternatives. 

My first attempt to boycott the Today Show sent me over to their competition, GMA/Good Morning America. (You can't convince me Robin Roberts is sick, the woman looks AMAZING). While I enjoyed the stories and the banter among the hosts, I didn't have a connection to them. They were having too much fun. I wanted to toss them in the corner and shout “This is news, people! It's serious!”

So then I turn to CBS This Morning. I really love the CBS Sunday Morning program, so this was a natural progression. And as a fan of Gayle King, I figured there was no place I'd rather be. But while the folks at GMA are having too much fun, it hits me that the folks at CBS aren't having enough fun. Sure Gayle will swoop in with her witty personaliy, but it doesn't seem to mesh well with the stagnant Charlie Rose.

I'd been tempted to throw in the towel and go back to the Today Show. But recently, I found a better option. Adult Swim airs reruns of King of the Hill early in the morning. I dvr those episodes and watch them at my leisure, lately in the morning. Hank Hill's life is so much more interesting than the real world. So I now start my mornings in Arlen, Texas, where both propane and John Redcorn rule.  

**photo from http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/files/legacy/kingofhill.jpg **

2 comments:

ShellyShell said...

I feel your pain. Back in the day I used to watch The Morning Show but now it's too blah.
I've been watching the Today Show more since the Olympics have been on but I'm pissed to what they did to Ann. Everyone said that Matt wanted her off the show!
I alternate between Today Shoe,Morning Joe and The Jefferson or Amen(usually on TV One).

Strength/Courage/Wisdom said...

I heard that about Matt too!!! Ugh. Now that I'm watching the Olympics, I'm forced to tune into the Today Show from time to time to catch up on interviews. But I still try to avoid it!