Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hello Panic. I’ve Missed You!


Sometimes, I get crazy ideas in my head. Awhile back, I was chatting with some close friends about this yummy new recipe I made. They thought it sounded good and were eager to try it. So, I made plans for these two to come over for dinner.
But the idea evolved. I began thinking that perhaps I should invite Homegirl, the friend who lives fairly close that I never get to see. I couldn’t have Homegirl over without also extending the invition to Girlfriend. And I knew I’d feel really bad if Oh No She Didn’t found out about my little get together from someone else. The same thought applied to Keeping It Real. By the time I got finished creating my invite list, there were 12 people on it.

Well, I sent the email out and I did what I normally do, I panicked. Not all of my friends know each other, so I couldn’t help but worry about what would happen if Homegirl and Sister, Not Sistah didn’t get along. I have the same concerns about It’s Because I’m Black and the white guests I’ve invited.

I also have worries about how I’m strategically going to fit this amount of people in my apartment. I’ve had people over before, but never for something as simple as dinner. In one of my weaker moments, I googled ‘hosting a dinner party’. Not a good idea. Now I’m also worried about the meal I’m serving, the playlist I’m making (Is Lil Wayne not good dinner party music?) and those two plates I have don’t match my existing set. And God forbid I serve She Caught The Vapors when everything is not up to parr.

In the end, I’ve decided to stop overthinking it. This is a get together of friends for food, convo and laughs, nothing more. Hopefully, it’ll stay that way. Yes, I’m still freaking out on the inside, but that’s what I do. My first task? To start cleaning this apartment!

4 comments:

...they call me "L" said...

LOL! Girl, calm down. Get you some paper plates, throw some pillows on the floor if you don't have enough chairs, make sure you have enough alcohol (that always keeps people from complaining about other stuff), and enjoy yourself! Everybody else will too...

Strength/Courage/Wisdom said...

excellent idea! thanks mucho!

Reese The Law Girl said...

DEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

That is all. :(

Strength/Courage/Wisdom said...

I haven't cared much about ol' Dee since her and Billy broke up many seasons ago. But her 'moment' still disturbed me. *sniff, sniff*