Friday, June 20, 2008

On Being Content


I’m not ashamed to admit it, but I google people. Sometimes quite often.

There will be times when I’ll have a lull in the day where I’ll think about someone, wonder what they’re doing, google their name and mystery solved. Sometimes the mystery isn’t solved, but it’s just as well. These are people who are usually friends/acquiantances/coworkers that I’ve lost touch with. They are people that I wouldn’t necessarily call, but I’m still curious about them.

The other day I wondered about Holly. Holly and I interned for the same company in the summer of 1999. Actually, we worked for two different companies but they shared a building. Weird, huh? We were both working in Philly and were excited about our times in the big city.

Our bosses would send ous out for various tasks, some exciting, some not. Often, I would see her there doing the same thing. We’d smile and chat briefly, but it was clear that she was the competition. In our own polite way, we went for each other’s jugular for three months.

The other day I randomly thought of her and googled her name. I learned that she’s doing pretty well, living in another country and working – something that I dreamed of doing years ago. I read her bio and a strange feeling came over for me. It wasn’t jealousy or animosity. I actually felt happy for her.

I no longer have the desire to do some of the things I once intended to do. The dreams I had as a girl changed once I got into college, changed again when I got into the Real World and at this stage, are being chiseled and refined. I am content.
So go fight the good fight, Holly. I’m back here, cheering you on!

7 comments:

Motownrunner said...

awwwww....

A said...

That's soooo sweet.

I had a similar feeling the other day when I was walking down the street and saw people and just started internally wishing them health & happiness. When I was feeling like absolute crap. It felt great. :-)

I google people too. My most recent google was an ex. Whom I found out got married this year. And you know what? I felt the same thing you felt. Happy. Very happy for him. Shows we're growing, Queen. We're growing.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

some will never be satisfied. Nice spot u have here, hope u don’t mind the drive by, do chk me out one day

rawdawgbuffalo and if u like what u read, maybe u will come back, even Blog Roll Me

Anonymous said...

i think we all do that googling thing. i know i'm guilty. glad to know you and your friend are content.

Eb the Celeb said...

I google people too... you never know what you can find out about people... I found out some crazy stuff that help me discontinue contact with some people... so to me... google is the best thing ever invented...

and its way cheaper than hiring a private investigator

Nicole said...

guilty as charged...usually, like you, it's people i kinda new and just randomly wonder about. never found myself jealous of anyone, but often inspired by their blessings.

Yesha said...

lol. i do that sometimes, too. =]]

btw, you got a great blog. ^^