Monday, April 30, 2007

Two Concerts in Two Weeks; Maybe Even Three

I had the pleasure recently of checking out both Corinne Bailey Rae and John Legend when they performed in my area. My friends and I had lawn seats, which made us bundle up and whip out our umbrellas on a moment's notice. Luckily, it didn't do much raining, just a little drizzle here and there.

Anyway, we were late to the concert because a girl's gotta eat. And who knew the friggin' thing would start on time? In all my life, this is the only concert I've attended that actually started at the time mentioned on the ticket stub. I assume that because Corinne isn't American, she doesn't know about our custom of being a tad bit late. Because of this, I only saw her do three songs. But I was happy when John Legend pulled her on stage for his set to sing Roberta Flack's "Where is the Love?" Overall, great show.

But it seems that drunken foolery and concerts go hand in hand, not that I was complaining. All the beer-toting spectators gave me plenty of laughs. There was the girl who tripped over her feet and tumbled down a hill, which caused her to knock another girl off her boyfriend's lap. The second girl pulled herself together and then yelled at her boyfriend for not catching her. A heavyset woman stood so close to her girlfriend that I was afraid she would slip her tongue in her ear. Then she yelled, "what do I want with him? he's only 18 years old!" Then there were the group of people in front of us who had serious come to Jesus moments when John Legend sang 'So High.' I like the song and all, but it never made me want to join hands with strangers and shriek. Apparently, that's just me.

The best part of the night was before the show. We went to eat at a pizzeria when four girls came in decked out in prom dresses. Yes, prom dresses. At a pizza joint. When they learned there would be a half hour wait, they tried to think of other elegant establishments where they could eat dinner. "Oh no," one girl screamed. "We are not going to Chick- fil-a!" I'm glad somebody had some standards. They decided to stay at the pizza joint. Come to think of it, they were seated before us. Grrrr ...

Later this week, I'm off to see Meshell Ndegeocello. I can't wait. I no longer have to work this weekend, which I originally thought. So that means I would be able to go see Idris Elba -- aka DJ Driis -- when he comes to town. I'm madly in love with that man, but I don't know if I'm willing to risk my hard earned money on music I haven't heard before. Hmmm. I'll have to think about that one.

No comments: