I've tried my hardest to make this an original blog, but damn it, there's just no escaping certain things that have been done over and over. So please forgive me for posting an end of the year list. This one be like all those other lists that you've seen on news and what not, this is the S/C/W version.
Each year, People Magazine likes to do it's 50 Most Beautiful People list. Well, I've decided to list some folks who I think are beautiful, either for their looks or other attributes, and have not gotten the recognition they deserve. It also contains folks I'd like to see more of in 2007. Check it out!
1. Djimon Hounsou. I saw Blood Diamonds recently and had to wonder if this man has ever even been nominated for an Academy Award. There's something special about that man.
2. Keith Robinson III. I have mentioned that I'm obsessed with 'Dreamgirls,' but I haven't mentioned about the little crush I developed on the dude that played Cici, Effie's brother. Where'd he come from? When can I see him again?
3. Robin Thicke. Speaking of obsessions, I really don't need to go on about how I'm in love with this man again, do I? I watched an old episode of 'Growing Pains' recently and found myself thanking the loins of Dr. Seaver.
4. Jason Segel. This past year, my Monday nights have changed thanks to a show called 'How I Met Your Mother.' My devotion has nothing to do with the star, Josh Radnor, whose constant whining and whimpering is not good for my mental health. But I love his buddy Marshall, played by Jason Segel. He and I go back to 'Freaks and Geeks', which was unfairly canceled. I also love Neal Patrick Harris, but there's been enough said about his recent comeback and his coming out, so he didn't make the list.
5. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. I admit that I cried when they killed Mr. Eko off of 'Lost' a few months ago. I wasn't feeling this dude at all when he played Adebisi on 'Oz.' Back then, his acts sickened me and all I wanted to do was straighten that lopsided hat on his head. I changed my mind when he came to Lost and realized how sexy he looks in the flashbacks. I'm shocked at what a shower and shave will do for a man. Of course, now all the black folks have disappeared from this show. I'll have to reevaluate my commitment to 'Lost' after this season. Hmph.
Carlos Bernard, actor -- 24
Percival Everett, writer -- Erasure, Glyph, Wounded
Daniel Sunjata, actor -- Sex and the City, The Devil Wears Prada
Adrian Grenier, actor -- Entourage, The Devil Wears Prada
Joey Harrington, football player -- Miami Dolphins
1. Lisa Gay Hamilton. This actress will forever be on my list, since she gets no recognition anywhere. Whenever I see a movie or TV show that features her, I always wonder why she never gets more roles. Back when she had a recurring role on 'The Practice', the writers treated her like an extra. I hope to see more of her in the future.
2. Reiko Aylesworth. The one way to get me to stop watching a TV show is by killing of a favorite character of mine. And last year, when the folks at 24 blew up the character Michelle in a car bomb, and then killed her husband, Tony (Carlos Bernard) a few episodes later, I was done. I've been watching her since she was on One Life to Live back in the day and have seen her suffer through several parts with barely even a speaking role. The word is that she's going to star in the new Alien vs. Predator movie. Under ordinary circumstances, I wouldn't see that flick. But since she's in it, I'll at least get it at netflix.
3. Meredith Vieira. She's hardly underrated, but I made an exception in this case. Am I the only one whose not surprised that she's doing such a good job on the Today show? After handling the bitch beat on the View, its good to see ol' Merdith doing something worthwhile for a change, even taking on The Donald. I even see Meredith as a better fit than Katie on this new prime time gig of hers. Make that money, MV!
4. Anika Noni Rose. This is another 'Dreamgirls' shoutout, but I can't help myself. This Broadway actress played the role of Lorell in the movie, but the movie didn't show much about her character outside of her relationship with singer James 'Thunder' Early, played by Eddie Murphy. She's slated to have a bunch of movies premiere in 2007, so we'll see where this takes her.
5. Whitney. It may be too soon to call, but I hope this year is her comeback year. Now that she's gotten rid of that baggage, I hope she'll focus on getting her life together and reviving that beautiful voice.
Jaguar Wright, musician
Macy Gray, musician
Meshell Ndegeocello, musician
People I'd like to see less of in 2007:
Paris Hilton, Kevin Federline, Britney Spears.
Have a wonderful 2007!