Wednesday, January 05, 2011

She's Baaaack


I mentioned before how I’d been avoiding my good friend “Sheila”, because all of our outings tend to revolve around me sitting in on various kid-friendly events. Yes it may sound cruel from the outside, but picture yourself as a single, 30 something eager to spend time with a friend who only invites you to Chuck E Cheese and kindergarten singalongs. This was not a good look for me in the 21st century.

While I didn’t let go of our friendship, but I scaled it back to ‘see as needed’ levels. I must admit, the last time we hung out, she made every attempt to make things adult. We decided to go to dinner, so she picked me up. Somehow, our plans evolved into going to a restaurant where her friend was having a “party.” It was in this restaurant’s tiny room where I endured 67 minutes of the most boring, foodless pyramid scheme I had ever endured. My stomach growled so loud that it sounded like a cell phone with a dying battery. When they finally unveiled the food, it was a bunch of teeny-tiny appetizers, not even enough to feed everyone who gathered there. I remember leaving there a bitter, hungry wretch, then racing home to eat everything in sight.

Sheila and I exchanged a few halfhearted emails and texts after that. I’ve been keeping up with her from a distance. Her older child – the attitudinal daughter – has gone off to college. Her younger son – my road dog, who has the best dimples I’ve ever seen – is in all sorts of activities and is often on the honor roll. And this week I had the pleasure of receiving a message from her, inviting me to her birthday party next month. I hope her definition of “party” has changed since the last time we hung out. **FINGERS CROSSED**
Photo from http://info.blogged.com.s3.amazonaws.com/info02545297a29d9fdf43e9763cda81dcd5.jpg

1 comment:

ShellyShell said...

Hahaha! I'm 30something too and I don't think I'd take to go to Chucky Cheese too often! LOL!
I have several friends who have children while I like to hear about the kids I don't want to tag along too often. I have a gf who sends 300 yep300 pictures of her kids! I open the file once I see that many I automatically delete! Now my other friend will send 5-6 pics of her kids(that's more damn like it)!

Not cool going to a party with mini damn appetizers and not enough to feed all the people! I hope her bday party is more your speed! Please update and let us know!